Thursday, March 26, 2009

Seeking God: Part 3

The last thing I learn from Jesus about seeking is found in the third story in Luke 15. This is probably the hardest thing we are asked to do but absolutely essential.

3. Wait.
In the story of the Prodigal Son, we see a father who allows his son to leave his home and squander his inheritance. Rather than going out and finding the son, the father stays at home and patiently waits for the son to return. This is difficult because it is an aspect of seeking God that is out of our control. The other 2 things that we discussed (changing our routine and cleaning house) were active while this is passive. The other 2 allowed us to work while this relies on God to work. In the other 2, we at least feel like we are doing something while this makes us feel helpless. Waiting requires patience and patience, according to James 1, allows God to do His perfect work. There are many things going on behind the scenes that we are unable to see. The door that you want God to open or the prayer that you need answered may need others to get on board or circumstances to change and that takes time. There are 2 temptations during the waiting process. One is to give up. We must not succumb to this. We do not know how close we are to a breakthrough. We don't know how close we are to seeing God work His miracles. Today is not the day to quit or give up on your prayer or dream. The second is to choose another course of action just because doing something seems better than doing nothing. The Bible is full of examples of this and it usually leads to disaster. Be sure you are not getting ahead of God and trying to make things happen on your own. We will never know why we had to wait so long until we are on the other side of the issue.

I am in this place right now. I surrendered to God's call to Denver and fully expected to be there right now but here I am. Still in GA. Still driving a bus. Still waiting for my house to sell. Everyone asking when are we moving. My only answer: "Only God knows!" Close friends beginning to wonder if I misinterpreted God's will. To which I say: "I will continue on this course until God shows me another path." I am not free from doubt and I am not closed minded to change but delay and waiting are not signs that my dream is false or my calling unsure. God is working things out for His glory and our good. I must wait for His timing.

No comments: