Friday, January 2, 2009

Things I want to see, do, or be in 2009!

Here are some things that I would like to accomplish or see or attempt in 2009. These are in no particular order and I might have to do this in 2 posts but here goes:
  1. Sell our home.
  2. Move to Denver. I said that these were in no particular order but these things must happen or I am going to be a disappointed camper. I am confident that this is where God is leading us and that this is going to happen soon.
  3. Go to the circus. I love the circus and say every year that I am going but I haven't been since the late 80's. Who wouldn't want to see this? It comes every year in Feb but I never seem to make it. Maybe this year will be different. Who wants to go with me?
  4. Swim in the Pacific Ocean. I have several things on my list that have to do with the West Coast and this year I have a good reason to go there. So maybe I can knock several of these off in one trip.
  5. See the Grand Canyon. Nuff said.
  6. Meet Erwin McManus. Or at least go to his church, Mosaic, while I'm on the West Coast. He is one of my favorite authors and has influenced and shaped my life.
  7. Go to Disneyland. Walt Disney is probably one of the most visionary people that has ever lived and I would like to see where it all started.
  8. Read one biographical or historical book each month. I read a lot but sometimes read very similar books. I want to expand my thinking and learn from events and people that have come before me. Any suggestions?
  9. Make my daughter, Rayanne, say "Dad, you're weird." at least 10 more times than she did in 2008. I often find myself doing things or saying things that I could never imagine my father saying or doing and I wonder if I'm damaging my kids or helping them break out of their shells. It's a risk i'm going to have to take. BTW, she has already said it twice this year!
  10. Experience more joy! Joy is hard to define. It's not the same as happy or blissful. It is much deeper. I already have a reasonable amount of joy in my life that is born out of the relationships around me. My relationship with Jesus Christ naturally produces joy. My wife, children and grandkids, even friends, are also a source of joy. They don't always make me happy (happiness is very circumstantial and fickled) but they are a source of true joy that can never be diminshed by circumstances. I guess what I really want is to be lighter when burdens become heavy. To be able to float when the weight of the world (or at least the household) is on your shoulders. To be free when things try to bind you. I want to feel at ease when things are hard. And I want others to see it. I don't always pull this off but I want more of it.

No comments: