Monday, October 6, 2008

The Last 5 Books I Have Read

Wide Awake by Erwin McManus. I love books about vision and dreaming big for God. I love to be challenged by the possibilities of doing what you are called to do. No one challenges you better in this way than Erwin McManus. This is a must read book. I highly recommend it.

Simply Christian: Why Christianity Makes Sense by N. T. Wright. I really enjoyed this book. I have been drawn lately to apologetic type books - books that would convince outsiders by presenting good arguments for Christianity or refuting opposing views. This book presents Christianity in a positive manner by confirming the reliability of the Scriptures (although you might not agree with him on all points), outlining the history of God's work in this world, upholding the Lordship and deity of Jesus Christ and a wonderful presentation and explanation of the Gospel. I'll give it 4 1/2 stars or a thumbs up or on my own scale of 1-10 (1 being "don't waste your time" and 10 being "buy it now!") I give it a 9.

Wild Goose Chase: Reclaim the Adventure of Pursuing God by Mark Batterson. This is a great book. Don't read it unless you are ready to move, act, do! He claims the Celtic Christians had a name for the Holy Spirit - An Geadh Glas - "the Wild Goose." The Wild Goose was unpredictable, had no set pattern, hard to track and hard to tame just like the Holy Spirit. When following the Spirit, you never know where He will take you or where He will lead you. Most of the chapters deal with tearing down excuses for not following Him or reasons why we try to keep Him caged. I particularly liked his chapter on "responsible irresponsibility." The responsible thing is to follow the Spirit but it may look irresponsible to others. This is a 10, 5 stars, thumbs up.

It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It by Craig Groeschel. A good church leadership book but not really anything new. I've read it before in other similar books. However, I liked his passion about every leader being able to get "it" because "it" comes from the Holy Spirit and is available to all who believe and lead. I give it 3 1/2 stars or a 7.

The End of Reason by Ravi Zacharias. I am a huge fan of Ravi but don't waste your time on this. It is a refutation to atheist Sam Harris who wrote a book called Letter to a Christian Nation. Unless you are swayed by Sam Harris' book, this book is unnecessary.

No comments: