Saturday, September 20, 2008

High School Reunion

Last Friday, I set off for Indianapolis for my 30 year High School reunion at Heritage Christian School. I was impressed with how the campus has changed and been improved. I was also impressed that my principal, Al Leinbach, was still with the school but in a different capacity. We were State Champions in Soccer in our Senior year and since then they have had several State Championships in other sports. There were 70 in my Senior class and only 15 showed up but we had a great time together. The reunion was from 1:30-4:30 and then we went to O'Charley's for dinner together and hung out until 8:00. It's amazing that after 30 years (the last reunion I attended was 10 year) with no contact with any of them that I feel so connected with them by sharing the common bond of graduating together. I was amazed at their stories of tragedy and triumph and excited to see how God was alive in their hearts. It was a great time. Here are some highlights:
  • Our class president, Ed Blackwood, couldn't attend because he is inAustrailia planting churches.
  • My friend, Mike Lockwood, couldn't attend but I found out that he also preaches.
  • Donna Kindred has an amazing story of their daughter being healed from a rare form of cancer. I don't remember Donna being the most spiritual minded person in HS but God had done some radical things in her life. God was definitely present in her and her husband's lives. She prayed an amazing prayer for us all as we left O'Charley's. Her best line, "If you think I talk a lot now you ought to get me speaking in tongues."
  • Doug Wilson also had his own amazing story of overcoming Hodgkin's Disease. He had a year of chemo and radiation where he never got sick or lost his hair. He is now healthy and looks like a Harley dude with ponytail and tattoos. It was a good story and great to see him.
  • Anna Toby went through divorce and single motherhood only to find God was everything she needed and eventually a great husband. Her story was beautiful and her tender heart was encouraging.
  • Kathy Day and her husband planted a church in Michigan. We hit it off right away as we talked about the difficulty and blessing of church planting. Kathy is definitely a spiritual uplifter. She is great to be around.
  • Marshall Best has 6 kids and authored a 700 page book on Bible prophecy called Through the Prophet's Eye. He is sending me a copy but told me it was different and to use what I agree with and throw out the rest.
  • Steve Barnes came the furthest - Phoenix, AZ. He owns a travel business.
  • Jim Acheson was a blessing to be around. Overcoming his polio, he is a great bowler and golfer.
  • Anita Kennedy is still sweet as can be.
  • Kenny Andrich was there. I have a funny story about him but too long to share here.
  • Doug Theiss and his wife headed up the reunion. Thanks again. You did a great job.
  • It's always great to see Greg Bowman.
  • Angie Beagle, Marty Summers, Meg Hassinger, Janet Pryor also attended.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good to read your comments on your reunion. I'm glad you got to go. Did you mean Ed Blackwood? I think you got the name wrong.