Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Little Inspiration

These people inspire me and their words encourage me.

Joshua to the Israelites:
"But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve . . . But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

Jonathan to his armor bearer: "Come, let's go over to the outpost of those uncircumcised fellows. PERHAPS the LORD will act in our behalf. Nothing can hinder the LORD from saving, whether by many or by few."

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego to Nebuchadnezzar: "If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."

Job to his friends: "Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him."

David to his oldest brother, Eliab: "What have I now done? Is there not a cause?"

David to King Saul before he fought Goliath: "Your servant has killed both the lion and the bear; this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, because he has defied the armies of the living God. The LORD who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine."

David to Goliath: "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will hand you over to me, and I'll strike you down and cut off your head. Today I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD's, and he will give all of you into our hands."

Mordecai to Esther: "For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?"

Esther to Mordecai: "I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish."

Peter to Jesus: "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."

Thomas to Jesus: "My Lord and my God!"

No comments: