Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Faith (Part 2)

The second thing that came to me in response to Matt 17:

2. What areas of my life am I evidencing "little faith?
I immediately thought of a couple of areas where I am beginning to be concerned ("concerned" sounds better than "worry".) One of the areas is something that God has provided for me over and over again in the course of my life but the need is arising again. I wonder if God will act on my behalf again. Am I being over presumptuous to expect God to provide this need in the same way as He has done in the past? In Matthew 16, Jesus makes a reference to "bread." The disciples mistakenly think he is speaking of food. This makes them realize that they have no bread. Jesus rebukes them, "You of little faith (there's that phrase again!), why are you talking among yourselves about having no bread? Do you still not understand? Don't you remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered?" Jesus seems to be saying, "Haven't I proven to you that bread is no issue. Didn't you see how I can provide? Don't you realize that this is one issue you don't have to worry about?" How many times must God prove to me that He can meet this need before I rest in Him and trust Him completely? How long will Jesus have to put up with me? God constantly reminds His people on how He has rescued, redeemed, provided for the one's He loves. A few times Jesus encountered people that He described as having "great faith." They were people that were beyond "hoping" that Jesus would act and lived in the realm of "knowing." I choose to believe that God will meet this need again. I choose faith over worry. I choose great faith. I'll let you know when God acts on my behalf.

No comments: