Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Blessing of my Mother-in-law

Things have gone pretty well since moving my mother-in-law in with us. Its only been 2 weeks but everyone is adjusting well. It has been a lot of work to bring her to our home. Here are some thoughts on all of it:
  • I want to say, first of all, that Pattie and I feel called to this. We believe that this is at least one of the reasons we are not in Denver yet. Because it is our call and she is our mother, it is not a burden or a chore but a joy and a privilege to serve her and God in this capacity. That doesn't mean it is not hard or sometimes difficult. It means that the joy is greater than the challenge.
  • Obeying God's call often means re-ordering and re-arranging your life. With us it meant changing our whole house. We put mom in our Master Bedroom, Pattie and I moved into Rayanne's room, Rayanne moved downstairs into Joe's room, Joe (and his drums) moved into Ben's room. That puts Ben on the air mattress in any available room when he comes home. We moved our living room set into our sun room and brought mom's chair and couch into our living room. So far, everyone is happy with all the changes.
  • It has been a joy to see family and friends that are coming by to see her. We love our extended family and we don't always see them as often as we would like. Our house is open to any and all visitors.
  • The hospice nurses, after examining mom, both came to the same conclusion - they believe that she only has about 3 months. They say 3-6 months but closer to 3. This makes the moments even more precious.
  • As a Pastor, I am learning that the "show" is on the stage but true "service" is in secret. I miss the stage or more accurately, the preaching. I miss sharing God's word and teaching truths that God continues to show me. It is a definite calling and love in my life. It is actually a place where I feel more productive, useful, of value. But Jesus taught that true greatness was not bestowed because of title but in our willingness to accept the lower position of servanthood and that true leadership was not found in instructing but by practicing and providing an example. It is good for me to see this. It will be good for me not to forget this.
  • I'm thankful that my kids get to spend the next few months with their grandmother.
  • I see God granting the desires of mom's heart. Living near her kids, grandkids, and great grandkids was her wish and now she is here. She wants to go to First Baptist Woodstock one more time. We plan on doing this next Sunday. To see God care for her in these ways exalts Him in my eyes and heart. He truly is our Great God!

No comments: