Saturday, May 30, 2009

Last Day of School

Yesterday was the last day of school. I picked the kids up for the last time and dropped them off safely. I signed yearbooks, received gifts and hugs, gave last words of encouragement, and realized how much these children have meant to me. I have a short elementary school route. It only takes about 10 minutes in the morning to pick them up and drop them off and 20 in the afternoon to load them and take them home. Its amazing that those 2 encounters totaling about 30 minutes each day can generate such endearment. But, of course, that could be the secret. If I had to spend 8 hours with them every day, I might not think of them so dearly. Here are a few stories:
  • All the kindergarteners came dressed in their best for their graduation program. They were beautiful. One relatively quiet 5 year old girl adorned in a beautiful green dress hesitated before getting off the bus, looked at me with a long face, then gave me a huge hug. It was a sweet moment.
  • After I picked them up yesterday morning, I asked them if they were excited that this was the last day of school which they all shouted with an enthusiastic "yes!" I then said "You mean you are all happy about not seeing me for the next two months!" Mouths dropped open and there was a moment of awkward silence when a K-5 student quietly and slowly but resolutely said "Yes we are!" I busted out laughing!
  • I received a $30 gift card to Starbucks, 2 $25 gift cards to Olive Garden/Red Lobster and Chili's/Macaroni Grill, $15 Home Depot card, 2 $10 McDonald's cards and $20 cash all with cards that expressed gratitude and hopefulness that I would be their kids' bus driver next year. These gifts and words all reminded me that there is more going on here than just picking kids up and dropping them off. That these brief encounters with their children were more meaningful than I could have imagined. That somehow even a bus driver can make a difference.
  • On the way home, a first grader and a third grader sat behind me and berated me the whole trip. Told me I was an awful bus driver and delighted in calling me names such as "toilethead." Kids, you gotta love'em.
  • Very few students on my HS route. They get to leave after their finals if they have a ride. So Wed, my normal load of 30+ was only 5. Thurs I had 3. Fri only 1. I brought them pizza and soda on Thursday. One young lady said "I love you. I'm not even going to hide it anymore. I love you." She made me laugh. Amazing how food breaks down barriers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

these are such great stories. i love them!