Friday, July 15, 2011

A Prayer of My Heart

Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. Psalm 25:4-5

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:8-9

A prayer that I have prayed probably more than any other is found in Psalm 25: Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths. This prayer especially flowed from my heart and lips during this past decade of my life as church planter and pastor. I leaned on this prayer as I sought direction and as I faced decisions for our church. I prayed it often, sincerely, earnestly, and expectantly but I did not realize the shallowness of my prayer.

I am, first and foremost, a believer. I believe. I read God’s Word and readily and easily accept it as true. I have placed my faith in Jesus Christ. I have bought into His claims as Son of God, Savior and King as well as His plan and purposes for me and for this world. This leads to a second characteristic that defines me. I am a follower. Because I believe, I follow. I have not always done this well but it has been my intention. I say these things, not as boasting, but to show the simplicity with which I approached this prayer. “I believe in You, Lord, and if You will simply ‘show me Your way and teach me Your path,’ I will follow.”

When I speak of the “shallowness” of my prayer, I mean that I was dealing with the surface issues, the current circumstances, the care of that day or moment. And, to be honest, I did not always receive the answer or clarity or affirmation that I felt I needed for the particular situation. But God’s ways are higher than my ways and His thoughts are not my thoughts. Although He is concerned about our everyday cares, His purposes run deeper. The way of the Lord is the way of the heart. Was I really wanting to learn God’s ways and be shown His paths or was I simply wanting Him to bless my ways and sustain my present path? Was I willing to abandon my path for His?

At the time it didn’t feel like I was facing those questions. It is in retrospect, as I sit here in Denver, that I realize that God truly answered and is still answering this prayer. He changed my course, set me on a new path, moved me to a new place, opened my eyes to the ways of His kingdom, showed me His incarnational ways, and allowed me to envision a different life and ministry.

So I challenge you to make this your prayer. Pray it often, sincerely, earnestly, and expectantly. But pray it carefully. The surface of your life may need to change drastically in order for God to do the deep work in your heart and take you to new heights for that is where His ways lie.

No comments: