Saturday, October 2, 2010

Abraham or Moses?

When I first began to talk to people about the move God was making in our lives, many of my Christian friends who were familiar with the Bible quickly likened our calling to that of Abraham’s.

“The LORD had said to Abram, ‘Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you.’ ”
On the surface, I could understand and appreciate the comparison. God was asking us to leave our country (or, in our case, our state) and our family (both immediate and extended) and go to a land (another state) that God had shown us. A land that we were not familiar with, that we had no ties to, and what seemed to be a completely random choice of destination. But deep down I did not feel the connection. I was drawn instead to the story of Moses and the Exodus.

When we said “yes” to this Abrahamic-like call, it was not long before I realized that I was no Abraham. I could not just pull up the old tent stakes, load the camels, and be on our way. The main obstacle: a house that would not sell. God blessed us with our house in 1996. It was an absolute answer to prayer. There was clear divine guidance that led us to this house. It was love at first sight. It had many of the features that Pattie had always dreamed of in a home. We were thankful to raise 3 of our children there. We were delighted when it became “Papa and Grand’s” house to the grandkids. There was no doubt that it was a complete blessing from God.

But because we live in an Empire, things can change in an instant. Jobs change, income levels drop, costs increase, and suddenly we’re struggling to keep up with what God has blessed us. This is not God’s fault. It is the nature of God to bless us and it is the nature of the Empire to burden us. If we are not careful to manage our blessings, we will fall victim to the Empire. Then the Empire has us right where it wants us - slaves to the system. We become like the children of Israel in Exodus 1. The system tells us that the solution is to make more bricks. We become occupied with “more” and we soon forget that we are Kingdom people. The day we remember that we have a King and that we don’t have to follow the tyrant of this world any longer is the day we cry out and say, “God save us!” It is also the day that the King hears us. He always hears the cries of His children.

And so it was in my case. The blessing had become a burden and eventually the burden had become a weight and that weight was like an anchor keeping me where I was and disabling me from following the God I loved and from living the life I desired. So I spent many nights in my front yard asking God to set me free and to release me from the burden of my home. And He heard me. And He answered. And He set me free. Not immediately or overnight but in His time. And it was perfect.

Then we became like Abraham. Free as eagles, happy sojourners, resident aliens, tourists. Free to follow, free to obey, free to go! And we did. Now we are here and committed to live as children of His Kingdom.

I don’t believe God requires everyone to move but if He called you, what would it take for you to follow? What keeps you rooted where you are? What tent stakes could you already be pulling up just in case He speaks? You are not ready to answer an Abrahamic call until you experience your own personal exodus out of the Empire and into His Kingdom. I pray for this in every child of the King!

Note: Blessed are the one’s who have managed their financial and personal lives in such a way that they have already risen above this world’s systems, who have eluded the chains of consumerism and materialism that have captured so many. They are not many but they do exist. Thank you for your example.

1 comment:

DanielStancil.com said...

EXCELLENT MY FRIEND!!! Powerful words!!!!