Thursday, September 17, 2009

I have a dream! Part 2

The dream for "greatness" is alive in all of us.

We are all aware of this dream because it's God's dream for all of us. I just read Erwin McManus saying the same thing in his book, Soul Cravings, "The maddening reality is that each and everyone of us has been created with a soul craving to become - to become something - something better, something different, something special, something unique, something admired, something valued, something more than we are."
The original disciples were also caught up in this dream and asked Jesus about it on more than one occasion. Jesus never really rebuked them for such aspirations but used the opportunity to redefine "greatness" for them. He described a "greatness" that is not found in title or position or exercised in acts of power and control but displayed in the role of a servant and in humble acts of love, kindness and service. He made greatness possible for all.

Let me be the first to say that I certainly don't feel that I have achieved anything "great" or have become "great" in any way. But God has shown Himself "great" in my life. He took the broken and shattered dreams and fulfilled them all. He gave me a wife that I can't imagine life without. He gave me a beautiful family. He allowed me to fulfill my original calling as a youth pastor and has called me beyond that to "greater" things. I feel a little like Job after all was taken from him in the first chapter of his book and returned to him in greater ways in the last chapter. God is good and God is great!

I have also seen Him do "great" things in other people's lives in which He has allowed me to play a small role. There is no boasting in accomplishment or character when living God's dream of greatness. Our acts can seem so small and trivial, and our words so random and ignored but they become great because our great God takes them and puts His love and His power behind them. We can only say, "God is good and God is great!"

I am still pursuing the dream.

I believe that God still has greater things for me to do, that there is yet a work for me to accomplish. I believe that everything that has happened in my life up to this point has been preparation for this work. That work may be in Denver or somewhere beyond but I am ready now to get going. I am anxious to move forward. I am excited about the future. I am ready for the adventure. I never want to stop pursuing this dream.

No comments: