Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Sweet Story

While going through one of her Mom's picture albums, Pattie came across a picture of a young lady holding a baby. She did not recognize the new mother. But behind the picture was a card written by the young lady to my mother-in-law. I am giving you the contents of the card so that you can get a glimpse of Pattie's mother and how her love affected even this stranger.

Dear Mrs. Carolyn,
My name is _________________. I don't know if you remember me, but I had a baby eleven months ago. While I was pregnant, you wrote me a letter. I never wrote you back, but I wanted you to know that I slept with that letter beside me for 6 months while I was expecting. That was a very hard time for me but I'll never forget - you wrote to me that you were excited for me. That made me so happy. Everyone else told me that they were sorry I was going to have a baby. But not you; you were happy for me. Knowing that helped me through one of the hardest times of my life. You also wrote that my daughter would be a blessing. You were so right. I'm sure you know from my Grandma that my brother died 2 days after my daughter came. His birthday is soon . . . I've been missing him so much.

I came across your card today and it reminded me of how lucky I am to have my daughter.

Thank you for taking the time to write to a perfect stranger over a year ago. Your words have helped me so much.

I love you,
_____________________

No comments: